House of Commons, Cairns
House of Commons
Cairns City, QLD 4870
(enter through Bavarian Beerhouse)
Open: 5pm – late
Difficulty to find
This blog post is a quick recap of my experience at House of Commons. They just celebrated their first birthday in August of 2022, cheers to many more years to come!
How to find it
- Travel to Cairns City in the Esplanade.
- Walk into Bavarian Beerhouse towards the back and you will see stairs around the corner behind a red curtain (see images below).
What to order
- Top marks to this place for a menu of at least 10+ pages of awesome cocktails.
- I ordered the Motion of Confidence cocktail which heroes Watkins whisky and a smokey device placed on top at the very end, so fancy!
- Do not be afraid to scour the menu for other cocktails, the list is impressive.
- Nice relaxed vibe inside where you felt comfortable to strike up a conversation with those near you. I did notice everyone inside had some sort of accent so it was very cosmopolitan.
- Cairns is a holiday resort style feel so if you are looking to escape all that for a more refined experience then you will enjoy this hidden bar.
- It is a little on the smaller side and not so much happening with the music, however it is a lot less crowded than the other places.
- Decor was more European feel and the bartender was lovely. Take a date for a quiet place out or a few friends when you want to escape the touristy esplanade.
- Opportunity to make the place feel more authentic to Cairns.
- Bartender is from wales, a very lovely guy, although he was under the pump as they were short staffed so we did wait a little while for service on this particular night.
- Mixed an excellent off the menu cocktail as per his recommendation, however did not ask enough open ended questions to figure what I like (this may be because they were so short staffed). In saying that, the cocktail was good in the end.
- Almost 5/5 score for the bartender, he made us feel at ease with his relaxed vibes.
Be sure to check out this speakeasy when you are next in Cairns enjoying a holiday. House of Commons secret bar is truly a hidden gem in what can be a busy and touristy esplanade.
Sunshine and whisky cocktails, what more can one ask for!
Until next time,
Comments are closed.